There could be a plethora of reasons why you were looking for ‘how to change Yahoo password’, and ended up on my blog, but I suspect that someone has gotten access to your Yahoo mail account, or it had been compromised. On second thoughts, perhaps its nothing too sinister and maybe your password is just too complicated to remember, and you are tired of retreating back to your password manager for help.
Another pretty good reason for wanting to change your yahoo mail password is that your current one doesn’t seem secure enough. It could also be that you have forgotten your password for good this time and need to reset it. Or maybe, you are simply bored of having the same password for years.
Whatever reason you have for wanting to update your Yahoo Mail password, it is nevertheless a good practice to update your password periodically and give the hackers a hard time trying to access your account. It’s hardly prudent to use the same password for an extended period of time. So now that have decided to go ahead with this, you must be wondering how to change yahoo password. I am going to tell you not only how to change Yahoo password but reset it as well for when your memory fails you.
How to Change Password on Yahoo Mail?
- Open Yahoo Mailand login if asked. For Yahoo Mail Basic users, move your cursor to the menu next to your name at the top of the page and choose Account Info, then Select ‘Go’. For those using the newest Yahoo Mail version, click your name at the top of the page and then navigate to ‘Account Info’.
- Once you have reached the Personal info page, head over to ‘Account Security’ on the left side of the page.
- Click on the ‘Change Password’ link on the upper-right side of the page to move to the password creation page. On the other hand, if you have enabled the Yahoo Account Key, you will first need to click ‘Manage’ in the upper-right side of the page and choose ‘Disable Account Key’ -> ‘Yes, Disable Account Key’ -> ‘Got It’. Once you have disabled the account key, you can go back to the Account security page and click on ‘Change Password’.
- Type a secure password (one that is new, complex, yet memorable) in the text box that pops up, and then type again to confirm that you’ve typed it correctly. If you aren’t sure you are typing in the correct password, enable ‘Show Password’ to see what you are typing.
- Select the Continue button.
- Skip the page that appears, asking you to choose a recovery email and phone number, by clicking on ‘I’ll secure my account later’ link at the bottom.
- This takes you back to the Account security page. Click Mail at the top right corner of that page and you will be taken back to your emails.
How to Reset A Forgotten Password on Yahoo Mail?
You don’t always the need to change your Yahoo Mail password. Sometimes, you may forget your password altogether to perhaps your account has been hacked into, making it impossible for you to access. This is when you would want to reset your Yahoo Mail Password:
- Click ‘Difficulty signing in?’ in the lower-right corner of the sign-in section. Clicking on this button redirects you to the account recovery page.
- Enter your Yahoo account’s phone number which you had use to sign up for Yahoo. Alternately, you can also enter the recovery email address for Yahoo, if you had remembered to set one up. You can also enter your Yahoo email address if you don’t have a recovery email address or phone number.
- Click ‘continue’ below the text box.
- If you have entered a recovery phone number, click on the blue button at the top of the page that says “Yes, text me an Account Key”, to have the code send directly to your selected phone number. On the other hand, if you have chosen a recovery email address instead, click on “Yes, send me an account key”, to have the code emailed to you on your recovery email address. If however, you have entered your Yahoo email address, you will be required to input the missing letters or numbers from the recovery option Yahoo provides before proceeding.
- In order to retrieve your account key, check your phone’s messaging app or the recovery email inbox, whichever option you have chosen, and review the 8-character code sent to you.
- Come back to your yahoo page and input the Account Key code into the text box that appears in the middle of the “Verify” page.
- Click ‘Verify’ just below the text box. If the code you have entered matches the one sent to you, Yahoo redirects you to the account selection page.
- Select the account for which you are looking to change the password and allow Yahoo! to log you into the selected account. This step isn’t required for when you only have a single Yahoo account.
- Click ‘Create a new password’ at the bottom of the page.
- Enter your new password into the “New Password” textbox, and then enter again into the “Confirm password” textbox to verify that you have entered the correct password. If you are unsure whether you are typing the correct password, check the “show password” box to see what you are typing.
Click the blue “continue” button to complete resetting password on Yahoo Mail.